The South Windsor Public Library was established by Town Meeting, October 1898. The Library is governed by a six member Board of Directors, which is appointed by the Town Council for four year terms.
The duties and powers of the Library Board of Directors were defined as part of the 1963 revised Code of Ordinances, Town of South Windsor. The terms and composition of the Library Board of Directors are fixed by Section 502 of the Charter.
The Board is responsible for 1) establishing proper rules and regulations necessary to provide free library service to all inhabitants of the Town; 2) adopting an annual budget; 3) presenting the adopted budget to the Town Manager in accordance with the Charter Regulations; and 4) employing a Library Director, who serves as advisor to the Board and as the chief executive in the administration of the policies established by the Board. The Board meets on a monthly basis. Meetings are held in the Board Room of the library. Agendas for the meetings are posted 24 hours in advance. Minutes will be posted within 48 hours of the meeting. Agendas and minutes of previous meetings are available in the library’s business office.
Categories: Community Organizations